The Direction I Am Facing
There comes a point when moving forward does not feel like hope.
It feels like grief.
Not the simple kind of grief that comes, is mourned, and eventually finds its place somewhere quiet within the heart. I mean the grief that remains complicated: the kind that leaves questions without answers, wounds that may never fully close, and memories that stay tender no matter how much time passes.
I am still carrying things.
People. Places. Dreams. Expectations. Versions of myself. Things I thought would last. Things I thought I understood. Things I wish had happened differently. Things I wish had never happened at all.
Some of these things I can forgive.
Some I cannot.
Some I may one day understand.
Some I probably never will.
For a long time, I thought I had to resolve all of it before I was allowed to continue — to make peace with every loss, explain every wound, forgive every wrong, and somehow become whole again before I could take another step.
I do not believe that anymore.
Healing is not always becoming untouched by what happened. It is not always returning to the person one was before the loss, before the betrayal, before the breaking point.
Sometimes healing is learning how to carry what happened without allowing it to determine where one goes next.
Sometimes you walk wounded.
Sometimes you walk exhausted.
Sometimes you walk with tears in your eyes, anger in your chest, and questions you cannot answer.
Sometimes you walk with scars that still ache when old memories return.
And sometimes you walk simply because standing still has become another kind of suffering.
My faith does not promise that the road ahead will be easy. The Gods have never promised me a life without loss, nor have they asked me to pretend that pain is beautiful simply because I survived it.
Life is sacred because it is lived: through fire and darkness, through endings we did not choose, through absences that remain absences, and through beginnings whose shape we cannot yet see.
So I place before the Gods what I cannot carry alone.
Not because I expect them to erase it.
Not because I believe every wound will be repaired.
But because I know I was not made to bear every burden without help.
I walk with the flame beside me — not as a promise that darkness will never return, but as a reminder that even a small fire can make a place inhabitable. I walk beneath the watching heavens. I walk with the Gods. And I walk as myself: changed, marked, still becoming.
Perhaps there are things I will never entirely heal from.
Perhaps there are parts of me that will always bear the evidence of what I have survived.
I can live with that.
I do not need to become the person I was before. That person belongs to a road I have already traveled. What I need now is to become the person who can walk the road that remains.
It may be a long road.
It may be lonely.
It may ask more of me than I think I have left to give.
There will be days when I look backward. Days when I miss what was good. Days when anger returns, when grief arrives unexpectedly, when an old wound opens and reminds me that time does not always make a thing painless.
Moving forward does not mean I stop remembering.
It means I stop allowing the past to choose my direction.
There is something simple I am finally beginning to understand: to walk the road ahead, I must face the direction in which I intend to go.
And that means turning around.
Not because what is behind me did not matter.
Not because it did not hurt.
Not because I have forgiven everything.
Not because I am certain about where I am going.
But because I cannot walk forward while continually walking toward yesterday.
So I turn.
I take the wisdom that is mine to carry. I leave behind what was never mine to bear. I bless what can be blessed. I mourn what must be mourned. I release what I am able to release.
And the rest, I leave with the Gods.
Then I take one step.
And another.
Not toward a promised perfect future. Not toward a life where every wound disappears. Not toward the assurance that something better is waiting to replace what has been lost.
Just forward.
Toward whatever life is still mine to live.
The road does not have to be beautiful yet.
I only have to walk it.
The Gods know how far I have come. They know what I have carried. They know what it cost me to arrive here.
For now, perhaps that is enough.
The past is behind me.
The future is not yet known.
My feet are beneath me.
The flame is still burning.
And I am facing forward.
*
And before the Gods, I make no grand claim that I am unbroken.
I bring them what I am: wounded, living, and still willing to walk.
Holy Gods, who have seen me in the darkness and did not abandon me, receive this promise.
I will keep the vow.
I will tend the flame.
I will honor the household and the holy places.
I will keep the ways of the Gods, not as rules laid upon me from outside, but as a shape I have chosen to grow into — imperfectly, faithfully, one day at a time.
I will follow the path my ancestors walked before me, not because it was easy for them, but because they walked it anyway, and left it wide enough for me to find.
Vesta, keeper of the sacred hearth, let your flame remain within my keeping. Not as a demand that I never falter, but as a charge to rise again, return to what is holy, and make a dwelling place for reverence amid all that has been broken.
Gods of my ancestors, Gods who walk beside humankind, Gods who know the measure of loss and endurance: guide my steps as I take them. Receive my devotion not because I am free of sorrow, but because I am choosing, even now, to remain faithful.
And what I have received — from the Gods, and from this world that has both wounded and sustained me — I will not hoard against the cold.
I will give freely. Love, freely. Kindness, freely. What comfort I have found, I will offer to those who are still walking through the dark I have only just left behind.
For I have been given more than I earned, and I owe more than I can ever repay — so let what passes through my hands not stop there.
I will not promise that I will never look back.
But I will not make a home there.
I will carry what wisdom I can.
I will leave what I cannot carry with the Gods.
And while breath remains in me, I will keep the vow, tend the flame, and serve the Gods.
May the will of the Gods be done.
Comments
Post a Comment