Skip to main content

The Hardest Part Isn't Rebuilding


The Hardest Part Isn't Rebuilding

Now that I have a secure place to live and the opportunity to find a job, I am genuinely grateful. There is something profoundly comforting about finally having a place to land, a chance to work, and the possibility of beginning to put my life back together.

I know I can do the rest.

The work, the hours, the bills, the responsibilities, the rebuilding—those things are structural. They may be difficult, but they are things I can face. They are problems that have solutions. One step at a time, I can build those pieces again.

The hardest part isn't any of that.

The hardest part is what happens when the day is over.

It's returning to a bed alone.

It's the quiet after everything that needed to be done has been done. It's realizing that there is no other presence in the room. No other person's thoughts, needs, laughter, habits, warmth, or simple existence woven into the evening.

That's where the ache lives.

I know I'll get through it. I know I'll keep pushing forward, even when that missing piece hurts. But I also know that what I'm missing isn't simply a relationship status or the structure of the life we once had.

I'm missing him.

For me, even through the turbulent and extraordinarily difficult moments, what we shared was the greatest love and happiness I have ever known. And whatever happened afterward, whatever became complicated, whatever circumstances surrounded the ending, that doesn't erase what the beautiful parts actually were.

It's difficult to talk about the past because the way things ultimately ended is not the whole story of what our life was.

We lived through some extraordinary circumstances. There were difficult chapters, certainly. But there were also enormous stretches of time between those moments—and even moments within them—that were magical.

There was something deeply filling about sharing a life with another person.

Not because life was perfect.

Not because we had everything figured out.

But because life was shared.

I miss the quiet moments most.

I miss the kind of quiet where you aren't alone with your own thoughts. The kind where another person simply exists beside you and somehow that presence makes the world feel different.

Now the quiet belongs entirely to me.

My thoughts are mine.
My needs are mine.
My decisions are mine.
My evenings are mine.

And I've discovered something strange in all of this: my own needs are actually ridiculously simple.

I don't need an extravagant life.

I don't need perfection.

I don't need some grand adventure every day.

I need very little materially.

But my heart is another matter entirely.

Because the heart doesn't measure life in square footage, paychecks, accomplishments, or how efficiently the bills get paid.

The heart measures life in presence.

In shared mornings.

In quiet evenings.

In someone being there.

In having a person whose existence is woven into your ordinary life so deeply that you don't even realize how much that presence means until it is gone.

And that is where the ache stops being simple.

Because it isn't only that the room is empty. It's that something inside me was never told the room would be empty. Somewhere beneath the practical grief—the missing of a person, a laugh, a warmth in the dark—there is something older and stranger still carrying its own weight. It doesn't behave like memory. It behaves like architecture.

Vowed Unto Eternity

I did not simply remember a promise I once made. I built myself around it.

When I say I vowed unto eternity, I don't mean those words were spoken once, at a ceremony, and then set down like an object I could later choose to pick back up or leave behind. I mean they became part of the structure of who I became. My heart organized itself around that vow. My conscience did too. My understanding of what love even is took its shape from that promise—not as something temporary, conditional, or easily withdrawn, but as something sacred enough to give unto eternity.

I think those words were more than words.

I think they became embedded in me.

Somewhere along the way, the promise stopped being something I said and became something I was.

And perhaps that is why this has been so difficult to survive. Because rebuilding a home is structural. Rebuilding a career is structural. Even rebuilding stability, day by day, is something I can face with method and patience, the way you'd face any problem that has a solution.

But what happens to a vow that was written into the very architecture of your soul?

A marriage can end on paper.

A home can disappear.

A life can be dismantled.

Names can change. Circumstances can change. People can walk away.

But what happens when the person you vowed yourself to is no longer beside you, and yet the part of you that made the promise never received the message that it was supposed to stop loving?

Sometimes it feels like a cruel joke of the gods—to make a heart capable of loving that deeply, to let it give itself so completely, and then to leave it carrying an eternal promise into a life where there is no longer anyone beside it to receive that promise.

I wish I could simply tell my heart that it is over.

I wish I could explain that circumstances changed, that life moved on, that the structure collapsed, that the person is gone from my everyday existence.

But my heart doesn't speak the language of paperwork.

My soul doesn't understand finality simply because a chapter has ended.

And my conscience still remembers what I promised.

This is what I keep returning to, in the quiet after everything that needed to be done has been done: it isn't only that I miss him. It's that the missing has a shape older than memory. It's that even now, he remains my favorite person—not out of nostalgia, not because the ending was gentle, but because the beautiful parts were real, and because some vow I made in the fullness of that love never got the ending my heart was prepared to give it, once the world decided the story would end differently than I promised it would.

Maybe someday I will understand what it means to carry an eternal vow into a life that did not turn out the way I believed it would.

Maybe someday I will learn that honoring what I felt does not require me to remain trapped inside the past.

But I am not there yet.

Right now, I am simply trying to live with the strange and painful truth that I can rebuild my life while still carrying a love that never received the ending my heart was prepared to give it.

I can build another home.

I can find work.

I can become stable.

I can wake up tomorrow and keep going.

But somewhere beneath all of that, there is still a part of me whispering the same words it has carried all these years:

I vowed unto eternity.

And perhaps the cruelest part is that my heart believed me.

So I will carry the ache.

I will work through it.

I will make a life again.

And perhaps, someday, the quiet won't feel quite so empty—and the vow, instead of being a wound, will become something I know how to hold.

But for now, I am allowing myself to admit something very simple and very painful:

I am grateful that my life is beginning to come back together.

I still miss him terribly.

And somewhere inside me, a promise I gave unto eternity still stands, waiting to learn what eternity means now.

All of these things are true at once.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Moth Emerges from the Nigredo

The Moth Emerges from the Nigredo In the beginning, there was the breaking— not the clean snap of a twig, but the slow, mineral erosion of stone under water that lies, under hands that reshape your gravity until north becomes south and your own heartbeat sounds foreign. They scattered you. Sparagmos. Limbs of perception torn by Titans wearing familiar faces, your thumos whipped into a frenzy while they called your chaos madness, your survival sickness. You were told to become butterfly— to fold your trauma into bright wings, to sip quickly at the surface, to dazzle and die in the same season, to forgive the frost that clipped you and call it spring. But you descended instead. Katabasis. Into the humus, the black earth, where Persephone keeps her winter, where the pupa does not dream of flight but of becoming— a gestation longer than anyone’s patience, a silence mistaken for death. Years in the chrysalis of ash. Nigredo. You did not glitter. Y...

The Touch That Changed Me

The Touch That Changed Me We had been building toward it in messages that burned quietly— long threads of thought, laughter carried through glass, confessions typed in the blue light of longing. Desire grew not loud, but steady— a tide pulling at the ribs, an ache for proximity, for breath shared in the same air. And then there we were— walking the trails, the earth soft beneath our steps, the wind cool and honest. We sat beneath a patient tree, two men pretending calm. You touched my knee. Not by accident. Not unsure. You held it. Gripped it. Looked at me. And something ancient inside me melted. The armor I did not know I wore ran like thawing ice. Pain loosened its grip. The hard edges softened. We acted, as if nothing monumental had happened— as if the universe had not just tilted. The wind grew colder. You shivered. We walked back, hands brushing— a quiet electricity in every almost-touch. Close enough to feel heat without claiming ...

Glory of the Cosmos

Glory of the Cosmos An Epic to the Immortal Gods Before the first horizon opened its burning eye, Before dawn learned how to rise from the dark, Before wind found its wandering voice— The Immortals stood. Not one throne alone in the silence— But many. Storm-crowned. Sea-veiled. Sun-robed. Moon-browed. Flame-bearing. Harvest-holding. Sword-bright and mercy-deep. From their splendor the stars took fire. From their laughter the rivers ran. From their will the mountains rose And bent in shining reverence. Glory to the Immortals— Radiant Powers of earth and sky! Thrones of lightning and woven fate, Hands that shape both seed and storm. Golden the Mothers who kindle hearth and heart. Fierce the Guardians who stand at the gates of shadow. Wise the Keepers of hidden paths and silver thought. Joyful the Givers of wine, of harvest, of love’s uprising. Without their light we would fade like ash in wind. Without their breath we would drift without song. But uph...